View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #1
mikie1977
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default Pet Insurance options - check out my research

Hello all. I am seriously considering getting insurance for my two yorkies. They are 4 and 5 years old respectively. No major health issues yet, but I worry as they get older. I have spent a few hours researching the many options and reading reviews. Here is what I have come up with thus far. Just wanted to run this by others, as a sanity check! I have narrowed it down to these 4, which all cover the most important stuff - chronic diseases, hereditary & congenital, cancer, and prescriptions.

Healthy Paws - I am leaning in this direction so far. No annual maximums or per incident maximums, unlimited lifetime maximum as well. The deductible is annual, which I like. Does not cover exams though. For the 2 dogs for a $250 annual deductible with 10% co-pay is $75 a month ($70 a month with 20% co-pay).

Embrace - Number 2 choice so far. Also an annual deductible. Using the silver plan (most popular) it does have a $10,000 annual max though. $200 deductible at 20% co-pay is $83 a month for the 2 dogs. Seems a bit pricey, especially considering the annual max. They offer dental and wellness / preventative too, but at additional fees. $50,000 lifetime max too.

Pet Plan - good prices. $66 a month for the 2 dogs. But no annual deductible - their deductible is per incident. Not sure I like the sound of that. This is also using a $200 deductible and 20% co-pay. Also has a $12,000 annual max, which I also don't like the sound of. It does include exams though which is nice.

Trupanion - similar to Pet plan in terms of the per incident deductible. But no annual max. $250 deductible and 10% co-pay. $70 a month for the 2 dogs. Does not include exams. Does not cover hip displasia in base policy.

Any thoughts? I am close to signing up for Healthy Paws, but want to sleep on it first! thanks!
mikie1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!