View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

I would definitely think about obedience classes. When we took Hot Rod, hubby and I were really the ones taking the classes. lol We learned how to talk to him and how to act around him. By this I mean, it was how to read him and get him to react to us.

I learned quite a bit on how to "set him up for success". One thing our trainer suggested to us to use a unique phrase for come other than come. Her reasoning is that you tend to say, come, or come here, or come on. She used "front" and then she suggested treating or praise.

As for potty training, you will have to try and put yourself on a strict schedule for him. It's a matter of you reading his signals and figuring out when he is telling you he needs to potty. Some have suggested tethering him via a leash to you. This is something that takes patience and diligence on your part.

It will happen, you just need to be consistent with your training otherwise you will send him mixed signals and he will not learn what it is that you want from him. Once again, our trainer said to make sure to set him up for success. Good luck.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!