Thread: Comfortis
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
jencar98
Donating YT 500 Club Member

On a puppy I would prefer no chemicals or meds for fleas be given unless you have a flea infestation. Dawn dish washing soap will kill fleas and isn't harmful to use on puppies. You could try that, using a flea comb to remove them, washing all bedding, vacuuming repeatedly, making certain to empty your vacuum afterwards.

Another member posted a recipe for a peppermint oil that is supposed to repel fleas. I haven't tried it and did no research to know if peppermint oil is safe or not for use with dogs.

If these methods don't work, I know Revolution makes a topical that is safe for puppies and kittens. I've used Comfortis and it was a miracle worker for my situation but I hated using something that strong. It wasn't necessary for me to treat my tiny girl, Ruby, just treating the larger dogs worked. One dose is all it took and we had no more fleas for over a year. All the other topicals, washing bedding, etc. didn't faze the fleas that year. But, as mentioned above, Comfortis isn't for those under 5lbs.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!