View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Rescuemomma
YT 500 Club Member

Default Rear dewclaws - to remove or not, anyone else with this dilemma?

Ok, I've been holding off but really want to hear what others think about this.

As most of you know by now - Benjamin came to me from the shelter. He was intact when there, they neutered him before releasing him. I wish they'd allowed me to use my own vet and I would have done the rear dew claws at the same time! But the decision wasn't mine, nothing leaves that shelter intact.

So anyway - to the point, Benjamin has very loose dewclaws on his rear legs. Just flaps of skin with claws attached. As a vet tech I've seen so many dogs with nasty injuries from rear dewclaws that catch! I don't want them to become a problem - right now it's fine but never know when something could happen.

With the respiratory stuff going on I wouldn't even consider putting him under right away, just looking for opinions. Should I have them removed? Or just leave them alone? I'd love to hear from others who's had them removed or has decided to leave them be. With no teeth, I hope it's a long long time if ever before they'd be another reason to have him put under anesthesia, of course I know it's always a risk especially with a dog so tiny - is it worth it?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!