Thread: Big Yorkie?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #12
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Is that a Yorkie; how Big do they get ?
We see this question or some variation of it almost daily. AKC has a standard that describes in detail what the ideal Yorkie should look like. But, even serious breeders of champion show dogs, do not get perfect standard Yorkies every time. Some faults are very subtle, and only someone who studied what to look for, would notice and call it a fault. (Like one white toe nail or an incorrect gait). Other off standard things like a fuzzy coat, floppy ears, or weighing 20 pounds most people would notice. Some one may wonder why your dog didn't look like the ones they saw in a book or on TV. Some people might ask (rudely some times) "Is that a Yorkie ? Wow, how big do they get ?" Remember most people have a very limited knowledge about Yorkies. They are curious and want to know, why.
In my 35 years of working with Yorkies, I have seen many sizes from a tiny 2 1/2 pound adult to a large 19 pound fellow. There are many coat differences too. Some have flowing silky tresses, others do not. Some coats have color mutations that can make their fur, reddish, gray, golden and even parti colored.
When I teach about Yorkie differences I often use human examples. I say, people think of beautiful___________ (movie star name) is she your idea of a real 100% perfect woman? She is 5' 10" weighs 119 pounds, has a flawless complexion, perfect teeth, and glorious hair. I will see nodding all over. Then I say, Now look at me. I am 5' 4", 130 pounds or so, grey hair, glasses and not so perfect skin or teeth. I am 100 % real woman, just like your favorite movie star ! Every one laughs. But, it is so true.
The only absolute way to know if a Yorkie is 100% pure bred is by doing DNA testing with a good lab. But, you can always be sure they are 100% dog even when they act like a spoiled child.
If your dog is a pet, it truly shouldn't worry you, if your dog is not show perfect in appearance. He or she will still charm you with their Yorkie charisma. Beauty and size are far less important than health. No matter what be proud of your Yorkie and gently educate others when they ask.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!