Thread: Bi-Polar Pnut
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespandp View Post
I wonder why he or where he got this from..? Did I do something wrong? I'm going to try to fix it!!

Maybe he feels threatened Bc I am holding him? I don't know how true that is bc he still sometimes growls at the dog when I set him down-
I struggle with this issue with my guys because I want them to be well-socialized, but I also want to keep them safe. As someone mentioned above, I think dog to dog communication and relationships are very complex and nuanced. I think a lot of it has to do with the combo of personalities of the 2 dogs meeting -- whether they are alphas or submissives or whatever. Plus, there is the factor of territory.

I've always read that it is better for 2 dogs to meet on equal terms, on the ground, and either both on leash or both off leash. Was Peanut on a leash? If he was, maybe being on a leash while the other dogs were off leash had a little something to do with his reaction.

When Max was a pup, I would take him outside in his wire crate to hang out with me while I worked in the yard. People would walk their dogs up to the wire crate and Max would turn into the Tazmanian devil. He felt threatened because he was stuck in a cage.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!