View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettywoman0708 View Post
Bag 382, sounds like her liver. Occult (or hidden) blood is higher up in the GI tract. It cannot be seen with naked eye must be tested with culture. Bright red blood in stool is lower GI bleed. Because urea is synthesized (or manufactured) in the liver, liver failure causes a reduction of urea in the blood. I would have the vet run some liver enzyme tests on Emily. I know for people its the ALS and ALT enzyme tests that are the hallmark "markers" of liver inflammation or damage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescuemomma View Post
I agree that this sounds more like a liver problem to me - Liver problems can cause an elevated BUN as well. So can dehydration. Where her electrolytes (Sodium (NA), Potassium (K), and Chloride (CL) generally) checked? If so, what where those values? What where her liver values?

Personally, I'd try a liver-friendly diet for a short while. I generally use a mixture of white fish (such as pollock) slowly boiled to retain most of the nutrients, rice, and sweet potato for 2-3 weeks and then retest to see if it's made a difference. NSAIDS can affect either liver or kidney health - So the Deramax could also be causing the elevated BUN. I personally try to avoid them - I have better luck with Gabapentin for arthritis pain, combined with Duralactin (works similar to NSAIDS, but all natural and, in my experience, more effective), Adequan, and Dasuquin + MSM or another high quality joint supplement.
This thread is a couple of years old.

Join today and remove this ad!