View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

You asked:

"im trying to carry him at times.. or even put on a leash ..he gets very bitey.. any way i can stop him from biting so much.."

Yes-read the quotes below & then implement them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretegurl View Post
Try having a professional groomer or your vet do it at first and be there-it's not just about you learning but having a professional experienced they will train him to behave for it and be much better-faster.

I use Dogwell's Mellow Mut chicken jerky here regularly for nail trims on one fo my dogs. We have also tried rescue remedy.

You should not be holding him down-he should either be on a groomign table or a make ship grooming station area in your home or laying on your lap relaxing.

Have you tried exercising him first so he's exhausted prior to grooming attempts?

Someone suggested doing it while they are asleep I'm not sure this is productive though.

Are you using a clipper to a file-filing can really ease it. I have a friend who's dog loves getting her nail's filed it relaxing for her because it's a behavior pattern and routine-she get attention and then treats.

Remember with nail trims etc being forceful can cause and accident and they won't forget that, it will only make it harder in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
I would work at getting along with the dog/puppy rather than forcing him/her. Use alot of treats and work slowly, try to make it a pleasant experience even if you don't get perfect results. Also consider having a 2nd person hold the dog/puppy and distract him/her while you clip. And always end on a good note, with plenty of 'Good Dog's inbetween.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Nail trimming can be a big challenge. I have one boy who is no problem, and the other one is impossible for me. Professionals would have to do his nails -- luckily he wears them down walking on the pavement.

As others suggested, do your grooming when your pup is worn out, tired from activity. Work each day touching your pup's paws so that he thinks it is natural. If he sits with you, pet him and touch him all over: his ears, his paws, his tummy.

When you groom him, be happy and confident and make him think that it is fun. Take your time and talk to him, praise him when he is good. Give him small treats. You may only be able to do one nail a day, but keep working at it.

Training can take time. I thought putting a topknot in was going to be impossible because that little head was moving so much! After about a week, my boy learned that if he let me put in the topknot, he got to go outside for a walk.

concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!