Thread: New to YT!
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
southernbelle04
Katie Scarlett's Mommy
Donating Member

Welcome to YT! And Congratulations on your new upcoming addition!

I got Katie Scarlett, my first Yorkie and first puppy ever, this past October. YT has been such a wonderful resource for me! All of these guys have been so nice and helped me learn so much! I made sure I kept a list of the things I needed before I brought our girl home and it really helped. You could start a list and then post it and fellow YT'ers can help add to the list. I have seen several do that. Here are the things I had when I brought Katie Scarlett home...
1. food (I kept her on what her breeder had her own)
2. Purified water (I get the nursery water at Wal Mart by the gallon for like 97 cents I think it is)
3. crate (we went with the Potty Training Puppy Apartment and it has been fabulous!!! Katie Scarlett was potty trained in no time at all! She regressed a bit after he spay surgery, but is now 100% potty trained.)
4. Go ahead and find a good vet and have his number on hand at all times. Be sure to take your little one to the vet asap for his first check up and to schedule his shots and things.
5. Puppy pads
6. Toys
7. Nutri Cal
8. treats (we use tiny cut up pieces of turkey weenies, cheese, veggies (KS loves celery, carrots), etc.)
9. clothes (if you want to dress your little one, start early. This is what we did. Katie Scarlett took a day or two getting used to the clothes, but now she isn't happy without them. LOL)
10. grooming supplies (shampoo, conditioner, detangling spray, brushes, combs, etc.)
11. harness
12. leash
13. toothbrush/toothpaste
14. wipes (I use Pampers Soft Care in Baby Fresh scent to wipe Katie Scarlett after visits to the potty pad. These keep her smelling fresh and clean. You can use puppy wipes found at any pet store if you'd like.)
15. file folder (to keep all important paperwork in)
16. Ear cleaner
17. cotton balls, gauze (we use cotton balls cut in fourths to place in KS's ears before bath time)
18. Nail clippers (if you want to clip the nails yourself.)
19. Go ahead and research good groomers in your area so you will have that ready when the time comes for the first groom..
20. Read up on Yorkies on YT or visit your local public library and check out books. I did that and it's free and I learned a lot!
21. Puppy proof your home!!! These little guys can get into things really quick! You can read up on puppy proofing here on YT or google it.
22. bowls (for food/water)
23. Bitter Apple Spray (this can deter chewing on unwanted things.) It did not work as well for us, but I know many have had great succes with it. For us, a empty soda can full of pennies worked. I shook it when Katie Scarlett was doing something she wasn't supposed to (I.E. chewing on my faux house plant) and she never did it again. LOL.

I am sure I am forgetting things, but I know fellow YT'ers can help add to it!

Hope this helps some!

Last edited by southernbelle04; 04-21-2012 at 08:58 AM.
southernbelle04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!