View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
gidget529
Gidget & Sidney's Mom
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I am not a breeder, but I think it is very possible. The exhibitor I referred to had a little girl, I don't recall the exact numbers, but she was super tiny until almost 1 year of age, and then boom! She ended up being over 7 pounds -- and I don't mean she got fat.

Experienced breeders can make an educated guess, but a good breeder would never guarantee size, especially not at 8 weeks. A good breeder would not choose their breeding stock at 8 weeks. Exhibitors cannot choose their show dogs (which will be their breeders) at that age. They know it is a total gamble.

You can try posting in the breeder section for more info, or the exhibitor section.
I must agree. Mine girls come from a very reputable show breeder. She does not know at that age which ones will be show-worthy and thus does not place her dogs at a young age. YTCA recommends 12 weeks to be placed and not before, and she keeps her much longer to see which will be show-worthy - thus making it breed-worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda918 View Post
The breeder did not let me see the rest of the litter at 6 weeks when I went to visit (he weighed 11oz), and now I learn that she sold 2 males at 5 weeks to another breeder. I know that the other smallest pup is only 13 oz.
I'm sorry to say, I don't think you are dealing w a reputable breeder. First, to be placing dogs so young does not seem very ethical. Does this breeder have her dogs tested and are her dogs healthy (you said a smaller girl was unhealthy)? I would want to make sure she has good lines health-wise if I was going to entertain breeding.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!