View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkipoo03 View Post
My dog Shirley one day , was playing in the backyard with her lifetime partner Ned, the Boston Terrier. Apparently Shirley was running really fast and hurt her knee soon after she was hoping on three legs. Went to the vet, they did a checkup and they said it could be a little torn. They said the outcome for Shirley would be a good 40 percent chance she'll be okay with the arthritis. Turns out , in surgery she tore the entire thing and only a little bit of the meniscus was left. So now she has staples in her. The medicine they gave my family to give her is plain horrible. She makes a face and shakes her head so hard. We couldn't get her antibiotic in for a bit, the Dr said just use peanut butter. Its easier said than done. Finally I got her pill in. It was not easy. We were instructed to do therapy at home..with warm washcloths for 5 minutes, then stretching it to allow the leg not to cramp up. Then we iced it. Shirley has been pretty strong and brave through this whole process. She was crying at first. It was the saddest thing ever. She even brought me to tears. She gets her staples out soon. However, she's going to need to take a pill for the rest of her life so she doesn't get Arthritis. Poor baby Shirley. I gotta say..the vet tech was horrible the first time I went with my parents. He didn't even try to pretend he read the chart. He asked us all the questions my parents answered before. Then when the main owner of the vet aka the surgeon came in they took Shirley, like they never handled a injured dog before. I told the vet tech that he caught her foot on the rug thing that was on the table..don't know why it was there. All he said was..oh thank you. Really? come on now..i know he may of had a long day of patients, but at least act like you care. I was going to be a vet tech. However, I am one who gets too emotionally attached to animals. So, it would ruin me to actually work with them.It's really sad how I know more than the vet tech. He made me not want to go to the vet again. But, you never really get the same vet tech..so i guess that's a plus.
sorry that you and Shirley are going thru this. I would just ignore the vet tech and focus your energies on getting Shirley well. What type of pill are you going to be giving? I give my 2 Dasuquin to help with hopefully keeping their knees healthy. They get it as a treat everday. I have soft chews which they get as a treat so giving it is no chore and I know that it is something that will help them.

As for giving meds to your dog, try giving something that she likes. For instance, we will give a small piece of something first and maybe a 2nd time also and then wrap the pill in it the second time we give the same treat so they are not expecting anything but the treat. I would be careful too...mine can smell the pill if I handle the pill and then whatever I wrap it in. lol. The little boogers will eat the treat and spit out the pill. I try to not handle the pill if possible. Literally wrap the treat around the pill if possible. Liquids are easier to give, in my opinion. Maggie has to have Proin everday and I just stand her in my lap and hold her hair on the side of her snout and I can put the dropper in the side of her mouth and squeeze. I treat after also. keep the treats very small as they can get full easily. I break treats up into halves or quarters sometimes.

Hope Shirley feels better soon.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!