View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Yorkiemomma78
Senior Yorkie Talker

Congrats on your new baby!!

I recently brought home Milo & Bella and they were 6 weeks old too (theyīll be 2 months old on the 21st),just as my other 3 were when we brought them home.
Itīs the norm to bring home a puppy at 45 days old here (about a week after they wean),so whilst other people are pretty alarmed about it,itīs all Im used too lol

Obviously,these pups need a little extra care,but itīs basiclly common sense Just to make your pups meal times a little easier,soak his food in some warm water to soften it..itīs alot easier than grinding the actual kibble and the result is the same.
Leave his food out 24/7 at first and offer it to him during the day..Iīd always sit down by the bowl and just hand it to mine peice by peice,and after a day or too,I didnt have to anymore because they started eating on their own.
As long as heīs eating 3 or 4 times a day,heīll be fine.
Also,keep some honey (or Karo syrup) handy just in case,and if you see him acting lethargic,just wipe some on the roof of his mouth with your finger
After a few days,you can start mixing dry kibble in with the kibble you have soaked to get them used to texture and because itīs good for them to chew
Oh,and they sleep ALOT at 6 weeks old Dont worry if he seems to be laying around all day.Mine could sleep for 2 to 3 hours,play for 20 minutes and then go back to sleep,but as the days pass,theyīre awake alot more during the day and sleep all night.

Iīve never done anything super special..just make sure he eats and enjoy him

Oh,and being as heīs 6 weeks old,Im guessing he only has one round of shots? Dont take him outside or let him be around other dogs until your vet gives you the OK Itīs for his own good

Last edited by Yorkiemomma78; 04-19-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Yorkiemomma78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!