View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

The PREMIE

ADOPTING A PUPPY UNDER 12 Weeks old

Congratulations on your new Puppy. A Yorkie puppy should stay with his mother until he is about 12 weeks old. If Your puppy is younger, you have a premature puppy in a way. You will have to be his mommy and teach him like she would.
1. Umbilical Tethering
Is a wonderful way to bond with your puppy and keep him safe. Hook a leash to his harness and put the other end on your wrist. He will feel secure, he can see you, smell you, and hear your heart beat and breathing. When he is not hooked to you he should be safe in his crate or play pen. You should resist the urge to carry your puppy around. This is a human instinct for human babies. Doggie babies need to walk and learn to follow the leader. Walking is much better for them, it makes their muscles strong and teaches them to look to you for directions. They learn by watching and doing what the leader does.
2. Potty Prep
The mother dog begins to push the puppies out of the nest area to potty at 4 weeks, at 6 weeks they follow her to the potty place and copy her behavior. So you have to pick a place and take your baby about every 2 hours during the day. They really do not know they can hold urine, when they feel the urge to pee they pee. When they are 8 to 10 weeks old, they begin to understand they can wait a few minutes, you can begin true potty training. Always praise if they potty in the right place. Potty breaks should be short. Say your cue word ' POTTY NOW' give him 3 to 5 minutes to potty. If he goes, praise 'Good Potty' pet and maybe reward with off the leash play time in a fenced yard. You are teaching him potty first, then sniff and play is ok.

LOL I don't mean to write my book here. But puppy training is my passion. Everything they learn the first 24 weeks of life forms their basic outlook on life. So it is so important to set up a good foundation of training and social behavior.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!