View Single Post
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
southernbelle04
Katie Scarlett's Mommy
Donating Member

Talking Retaining Baby Teeth?

Hey guys! I have a question. During a recent vet appointment (I had to take Katie Scarlett in to get her papers saying she was healthy and ok to fly on the plane with me home to Alabama), the vet noticed how she had retained her baby canine teeth on the top...the long pointy ones. She has her baby ones and adult ones right next to each other. He did mention that it was our choice whether to have them removed or not.

Well while we were home, I did start to notice how food was collecting between these two teeth. We brush Katie Scarlett's teeth once a day, at night during her grooming before bed time. She isn't the biggest fan of it, but she usually will let me finish without much of a fuss. After brushing, she gets her Mini Blue Buffalo Dental Bone as a treat. She adores these bones and they really do make her breath smell wonderful.

So I definitely think the teeth need to be removed to help prevent further dental issues. Although I do brush, I am sure food gets caught in between these two teeth that I cannot get it. So I called the vet yesterday to talk to the nurse about it. She recommended that I wait until Katie Scarlett has her first dental. She said I could have that done when Katie Scarlett was a year or even 2 years. This way Katie Scarlett will have the teeth removed when she is already under for the cleaning, which I agree with. I do not want to put her under anymore than I have to.

So I wanted to ask about dentals...when do I need to get this done? Any advice on this subject? I would sure appreciate it. Katie Scarlett is 9 months old now and her teeth (besides the double on the top) look really good. They are very clean, white, and she has pleasant breath. I hope I am doing all I can to take proper care of her teetch, but this is my first Yorkie. I want to do what is best for her. Advice?

Thanks guys!

Aymee
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!