View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
yorkipoo03
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Animal Smiley 036 knee surgery-ripped ACL

My dog Shirley one day , was playing in the backyard with her lifetime partner Ned, the Boston Terrier. Apparently Shirley was running really fast and hurt her knee soon after she was hoping on three legs. Went to the vet, they did a checkup and they said it could be a little torn. They said the outcome for Shirley would be a good 40 percent chance she'll be okay with the arthritis. Turns out , in surgery she tore the entire thing and only a little bit of the meniscus was left. So now she has staples in her. The medicine they gave my family to give her is plain horrible. She makes a face and shakes her head so hard. We couldn't get her antibiotic in for a bit, the Dr said just use peanut butter. Its easier said than done. Finally I got her pill in. It was not easy. We were instructed to do therapy at home..with warm washcloths for 5 minutes, then stretching it to allow the leg not to cramp up. Then we iced it. Shirley has been pretty strong and brave through this whole process. She was crying at first. It was the saddest thing ever. She even brought me to tears. She gets her staples out soon. However, she's going to need to take a pill for the rest of her life so she doesn't get Arthritis. Poor baby Shirley. I gotta say..the vet tech was horrible the first time I went with my parents. He didn't even try to pretend he read the chart. He asked us all the questions my parents answered before. Then when the main owner of the vet aka the surgeon came in they took Shirley, like they never handled a injured dog before. I told the vet tech that he caught her foot on the rug thing that was on the table..don't know why it was there. All he said was..oh thank you. Really? come on now..i know he may of had a long day of patients, but at least act like you care. I was going to be a vet tech. However, I am one who gets too emotionally attached to animals. So, it would ruin me to actually work with them.It's really sad how I know more than the vet tech. He made me not want to go to the vet again. But, you never really get the same vet tech..so i guess that's a plus.
yorkipoo03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!