View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 05:27 AM   #14
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

When I asked a vet nutritionist about C&P and choosing dog foods, this is what I received as an answer.
I now feed Hill's Ideal Balance because I like the ingredients and because I feel the company is doing the safer choice for my pups. Ingredients are important to me, but the company and their practices is the most important.

--------------

From Castor and Pollux web site: Natural Ultramix Puppy Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for growth and gestation/lactation.
This food has been formulated according to AAFCO profiles but not feeding trial tested. A statement of feeding trial tested is preferred when you select a product.
I would recommend looking for the following statement on the label of whatever you feed for best assurance of performance of the product. Here is an example:
"Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Brand X Dog Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for maintenance of adult dogs." (or "all life stages" which would be in the case of puppies or breeding animals etc.)
Here is some additional info on the difference. Regards, Dr. Bauer

Nutritional Adequacy Statement or "AAFCO Statement"
Every pet food label must contain a statement and validation of nutritional adequacy. AAFCO regulations allow two basic methods for pet food manufacturers to substantiate claims.
Formulation Method — Requires the manufacturer to formulate the food to meet the AAFCO nutrient profiles for dogs and cats.
This method is less time consuming and less expensive because feeding trials with pets are not required, only a calculation of the nutrient levels.
An example of an AAFCO statement using the formulation method would be: "Brand ABC Cat Food is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by AAFCO Cat Food Profiles for maintenance of adult cats."
Feeding Trial Method — Requires the manufacturer perform an AAFCO-protocol feeding trial using the food as the sole source of nutrition.
Gold Standard or preferred method.
Documents the pets' performance when fed the food.
An example of an AAFCO statement using the feeding trial method would be: "Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Brand X Dog Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for maintenance of adult dogs."
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!