View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #14
concretegurl
Between♥Suspensions
Donating Member

Ghetto Swamp Cooler: Ice & water in a large bowl or wide bucket and face a large fan on full blast blowing off of it. Works well. I used a horse feeder from the local feed store (the rubbery kind) and a HUGE square box fan from Target all in all it was like $60 and saved us the one summer it was hot here.

Also if your dog appears to be over heating at any point using alcohol swabs over their feet (right on their pads to open the pores) and spraying them with cold water is a quick way to alleviate heat stroke before you can get them to emergency help.

Also if they have a thin mat in their kennel those cheapo stay frozen packs for either emergency ice packs or stay cools you put in lunches-I get them at the dollar store here and they can be tossed under the kennel mat to keep it cool.

Removing any rugs from floors to allow them to lay right on a cool floor should help also.

Late morning showers even just wetting them (no shampoo) around mid day could help too-think about how hot our heads get-and our babies are covered in hair even when it's short they get hotter than us faster.

Obviously no T-shirts etc.

Keeping curtains or blinds closed will keep the sun out and keep the house cooler even if yu open windows and have curtain closed-I do this to keep allergens filtered by our microfiber curtains and yet the air gets through to cool the house.

Fans aimed at windows will force the hot air out.

Hope you all stay not only comfy but safe in the heat.

concretegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!