View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Rescuemomma
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbug View Post
Positive reinforcement - always!

Find a treat she LOVES and keep a picket full of those. Make this a treat she only gets when she meets other dogs. When she reacts appropriately, reward her with one. When she doesn't, a sharp, no-no should do it. After a while, she'll get the message. Use a clicker. It's a great tool to marking the exact moment she did something right.

It could be that she's a little territorial. Unfortunately with a rehomed dog, you never know what they've been through. She could have been picked on or attacked by a strange dog. Either way, it's obvious she hasn't been socialized very well. With that being said, you're going to have to start from the beginning. If you're persistent, you can turn almost any dog around.
Good advice - however I wouldn't even say "No", even that can be a negative association and increase her anxiety. I'd start at a distance. Take her places like Petco, find friends with small dogs, but don't let them get to close. Teach her some positive behaviors, and keep her focus on you and reward. Over weeks or months you can slowly start letting strange dogs get closer and closer until it won't bother her. If she reacts, just walk away, loosing your attention I find is usually all they need to know that behavior doesn't please you! They don't like momma ignoring them!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!