Thread: Obedience Class
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
linz06
Donating YT 500 Club Member

What really confused me is that he kept saying "positive reinforcement" which is what I believe is the best way to train a dog. Praise, treats, play, whatever works to motivate and reward. But then he says a dog needs correction by using a choke collar. Well, I am not going to punish my dogs if they don't do exactly what I ask! I will have them keep trying and then give them big praise when they do!

You're right, the easy walk is the one I'm thinking of using. The gentle leader I think would also be problematic for us. He did talk about a nose harness with me after class last night, but even he said you need to be even more gentle because if you pull back too hard you'll hurt their necks! Plus, Lucy has such a short little muzzle I don't think it would be comfortable or stay on for very long. The regular harness with the leash clip in front is the one I am thinking of trying.

I think we will go to the classes and learn the hand signals and positive techniques, and then we'll go home and work on them for a week to suit what we think will work with our dogs.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!