View Single Post
Old 04-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
MY OSCAR
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiemomma78 View Post
Well,this is my first official "help me!" post

I have 2 *almost* 8 week old yorkie pups.Itīs the norm to bring pups home at 6 weeks here (so please dont judge this as its common practice here in Spain) so we have had them for two weeks now.
At first,they were both VERY consistent with the potty pads.We didnt seem to have to do anything exept change the pads as they were amazing about using them
But,for the past 4 or 5 days,Milo refuses to use them at all.Bella has made it very clear that she is the dominant one of the two,whilst Milo is extremly submissive and sensitive.
Infact,I have found myself in a situation where I dont know how to correct his behaviour because he is extremly sensitive to all and any negative reactions.When I pick him up and place him on a pad when he pees on the floor (I also say "NO"),he sits and shivers,and then for the rest of the day he hides and acts very affraid (tail between his legs,peeing when we go near him etc)
I certainly dont want to traumatize him (neither do I understand why he is actually scared) and it breaks my heart to think he could be affraid of me,but itīs also impossible for me to be any more "soft" with him..infact,all there is left for me to do is let him pee on the floor.All Iīve been doing is putting him on the pad..how can that scare him?
Is there any other way I can remind him that he has to use the pads without making it seem like something negative? Even praising him when he uses them is something he doesnt like...

Im starting to wonder in Bella has anything to do with it..she really does bully him,and Im wondering if it could be that he doesnt want to use the pads that she also uses?
Thank you in advance
congrats on your new babies.
very important: never scold or punish your puppy for eliminating where he is not supposed to. as you have already discovered it just makes them fearful and nervous. if you see him potty somewhere he shouldn't don't say a word just pick him up , gently put him on his pad and say go potty. it sounds like he is just a sensitive boy.
keep in mind that 8 weeks is very young ,
they still have a lot of growing to do mentally and physically. potty training is going to take a long. just be patient. you could try using an x -pen and line one side with the potty pads, the other with their bed and toys. leave them in there when you can't watch them every minute.
it may be another 5 or 6 months before they are using the pads consistently.
good luck
MY OSCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!