View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
yorkieusa
Crazy about Kacee!
Donating Member

There was one time that I can remember that I was sure Muffin (rip) had a cold. She behaved in the same way. I cannot remember what we did now, because it's been so long ago.

I looked this up and I hope it helps you with your little guy:

How can I tell if my Yorkie has a cold/flu I have a 3 pound - JustAnswer

How can I tell if my Yorkie has a cold/flu? I have a 3 pound yorkie, just turned a year old. She does not seem to be feeling well. We recently had a small accumulating snow and she was running/playing in it but just for a few minutes while out going to the bathroom. We have also had a major temperature drop. She has been sniffling/sneezing alot for the past few days since. I worry since she is so little. What should I do? Is this something that will pass or will she need medication?

Hi there I'm Dr Goodall and I'd like to help.

aegoodall : It sounds like Coco has rhinitis or sinusitis. This means inflammation of the nasal cavity or sinuses. This is common in dogs and is almost always viral rather than bacterial. It is effectiviy like the human common cold, and as we all have experienced, usually the doctor does not recommend antibiotics!

aegoodall : Acute (meaning sudden and short lasting) rhinitis is characterized by nasal discharge, sneezing, pawing at the face, and when more severe respiratory noise when breathing, open-mouth breathing, and/or difficulty in breathing.

aegoodall : Sometimes the condition is complicated by secondary bacterial infection, when a more pussy and mucousy discharge may be seem from the eyes and nose.

aegoodall : There is also the possibility that the symptoms are due to other causes such as: A foreign body stuck up the nose such as a grass seed, a tumour, a fungal infection or even parasites (cuterebra grub).

aegoodall : I would advise not doing anything and waiting for it to resolve (may take a week). However, if Coco stops eating, or if she starts having trouble breathing, or if a pussy discharge is seen, I would advise visiting your vet.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!