View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #1
Nikki+2
I heart Sugar
Donating Member

Default Need advice on choosing surgeon

Sugar was diagnosed with grade 3 LP several years ago. He's never had any signs of discomfort and I decided to hold off on surgery which might have been a huge mistake. Thursday he started yelping loudly- I've never heard him cry like this over anything. It was pretty terrifying. It was obvious that it was his hind right leg that was hurting. I took him to the vet but due to it being an emergency visit, didn't see my normal vet but another younger vet in his practice. The vet put him on metacam and said to give it a week and then I'd have to consider surgery. He also told me how difficult the surgery would be and how easily Sugar's little bone could shatter and generally scared me to death. He's still crying several times throughout the day and night and obviously at this point, I'm not going to wait a week.

So, my dilemma- finding a good surgeon. My regular vet is a good vet but has become a bit arrogant over the years. He performs the surgery though he is not a board certified surgeon. Obviously I would not have him perform the surgery but I'm not sure I trust him to refer me to a surgeon. I have a feeling he will keep insisting he can do it. I also really want to just get on with this since Sugar is in obvious pain.

Does anyone have any advice on finding a great surgeon on my own? Sugar is only 3 lbs and is 7 yrs old so this is really worrying me. I have several board certified surgeons nearby but am having trouble finding reviews. I also live about two hours from University of Florida so perhaps I should be looking into that?

The office I am considering making an appointment with that is nearby is; Animal Specialty Hospital, Rockledge Florida

Any thoughts or advice? I really need to make an appointment on Monday and get this show on the road.

Last edited by Nikki+2; 04-14-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Nikki+2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!