View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heide210 View Post
I was in a hurry when I posted for this thread. I was just wanting to share the part explaining the impact of a grade 1 on a yorkie.

Once I took out this policy through Embrace,they offered a health review letting me know what would be covered and what would not.All I needed was to get a yrs worth of medical records and a orthopedic exam for Gabby.So I schedule a examination and found out about her having a grade 1 medial patellar luxation. So I gathered this info and sent it to Embrace.Here's their findings below.

I did not like how they did not want to cover both of her patellas,cause its only one patella that luxates,also in the form Embrace had him fill out he checks the box where it states within normal limits for that breed and age.So, I am thinking if it's normal why not cover her patellas then. I also did not agree with what they had to say about ostoarthritis.

I asked the Vet if he agreed with how I felt and he did and sent this email as addition info for her review

Thank you for giving Embrace the opportunity to conduct a health review of Gabby.
We strive to be upfront and transparent about our coverage. Overall, Gabby has been pretty healthy, but there are a few conditions your policy would not provide coverage for. This medical history review tells you what is and is not covered based on the information we were given.

The following pre-existing chronic conditions shown in Gabby’s vet records are excluded permanently:
Luxating Patellas
Osteoarthritis; this condition is at a greater risk of developing due to the luxating patellas. Future coverage of this condition in other joints will be determined on a case by case basis
Vaccine Reactions

The following curable conditions are excluded until Gabby has been free of them for 12 months:

Dermatological conditions; this condition will have coverage if a new episode of dermatological conditions occurs between the effective date of this policy and 3/13/13 and this episode of dermatological conditions can be shown to be unrelated to the episode of dermatological conditions that occurred in 3/12. To the extent that no new episodes of dermatological conditions occur between the effective date of this policy and 3/13/13, then any and all episodes of dermatological conditions which occur after 3/13/13 will have coverage under this policy for as long as it remains in effect.

Please be aware that this medical history review is based on medical information I currently have in hand. This information consists of your veterinarian’s complete chart notes over the last 12 months and was received by our office directly from your veterinarian’s office as we requested. If additional history or details arrive later showing a condition is pre-existing, the policy will not provide coverage for the condition regardless of what is shown in this medical history review.

Even though Gabby has some pre-existing conditions, your policy is still going to provide you with great coverage for small things like torn toe nails, all the way up to big things such as cancer and diabetes. If you feel I am incorrect in my assessment, please have your veterinarian send in a letter clarifying the situation and I will be happy to reassess this information at that time.
It sounds like they won't cover for preexisting conditions, this is actually very common, however, some people say that some insurance companies will cover them after the first year. I'm not sure how an insurance company could afford to do that. The cost of surgery is around $2000 for one knee, and people would just go buy insurance after their dog was diagnosed.

Join today and remove this ad!