View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
heide210
Senior Yorkie Talker

We recently took out a policy for pet Insurance.Well the insurance company did not want to cover Gabby's luxating patella. So I asked my vet if he could look at the policy. This is the email he wrote to the insurance company:

I am disappointed in and confused about your assessment of Gabby's exclusions. First, her patellar luxation is only unilateral, not bilateral. Secondly, it is merely a grade I out of IV. Grade I luxations are ones in which the patella naturally sits in its normal position, and moves out of position only under manual pressure. In my experience, it is relatively common for Yorkshire terriers to have Grade I luxations and not have further problems with their stifles throughout their lives.

My other concern has to do with your statement on osteoarthritis, stating that it would be determined on a case by case basis. Even if you did not cover the stifle joint (and, again, I would ask that you reconsider, or at the very least cover the one that ISN'T luxating), I don't understand why you would not definitively cover other joints. Yorkies are obviously very small, and any impact one stifle would have on, say, the hip joint even of the affected side, would be minimal if any.

I am requesting that you look at this information and reconsider the coverage of this policy for Gabby. I know that the would appreciate it.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Have a good day.
heide210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!