Thread: dry coughing?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 07:11 PM   #2
LittleMsScruffy
Yorkie Yakker

Default Dry Cough

My baby was doing this also. She is 10 months now but she's been doing it for some time now. Last month it got really bad. She would get up in the middle of the night...cough like she was chocking and then plop back to sleep.....meanwhile by husband and I would be freaking out. We took her to the Vet worried that it was her trachea. This is what he told us. (which we confirmed after further internet research).

The Dry Cough is actually a reversed sneeze. It's actually quite normal in dogs. The reversed sneeze can be caused by many things...cleaning liquids, perfume, cologne, dust, sand...and many others. It's actually a form of an allergy. He said we would have to watch her to see what was causing it and then eliminated that something. Well we found with our baby the problem was the dust. It's been really dry here and it's really dusty outside. However when she runs around and plays and gets really worked up it can happen also. I know the sound is terrible and can really freak you out but the vet assures me that they are ok when this happens. It rained for a few days and she suddenly stopped. We gave her an ice cream treat and the cold made her do it also. In doing some research we also discovered that when dogs have double canines (baby canine and adult canine) that causes reversed sneezing also. Just last week we removed her baby canine's and she hasn't done it so far.

Hope this helps.
LittleMsScruffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!