Thread: First vet visit
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

I'm so sorry that you have gotten conflicting health reports from two vets. The obvious answer is to go to a third vet for another opinion for a) heart sounds and b) the grade of LP.

Unfortunately as you have had her for six weeks, it is a lot late to know if she came from the breeder with LP at what-ever grade. Usually for the buyer's protection you take the new dog to your vet within 48 hrs of purchase.

In terms of the jumping up and down like a maniac; there are conflicting views about whether this will cause or not LP in an otherwise healthy knee. Certainly that kind of activity will for sure worsen what-ever weakness;abnormality that is present in the knee. I'm surprised your breeder didn't mention this to you. Limit jumping off of furniture and the repetitive type of jumping you described.

Now in terms of will these knees if they are indeed a Grade 2 and a Grade 3 require surgery; the liklihood over time is that the more severe the LP (ie Grade 3 is quite a serious grade of LP) surgery is often required.

I would recommend an orthopaedic surgical consult to get the grading assessed by an expert. Surgery should be an option of last resort. Some ortho's do refer you to physio treatments. A good physio should be able to give you exercises to strengthen the kneecaps.

For now until you know more; I would not be running/jogging with her any distance. If you must do something like this; jogging in the water is the best form of exercise for animal or human with joint problems. If you have an indoor doggy pool take her swimming.

In terms of jumping; curtail this right now. No jumping off furniture. No jumping off the bed etc.

If you do a search here on YT for Luxating Patella there are multiple threads that talk about this disease and various techniques our members have shared.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!