Thread: First vet visit
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #1
sportschick
Senior Yorkie Talker

Angry First vet visit

Hi guys. Now that I have calmed down, I can ask for advice. I took my dog to her first vet visit with a vet in this area. I did a lot of research trying to find a vet that I thought I would like. I thought I was just going in for her to be tested for heartworm and then to start her on the heartworm medication. I had gotten a clean bill of health from the vet that the breeder uses plus I had talked to the breeder about her knees and was told they were fine and that she was a really healthy dog. She said that her own vet had asked her why she was even selling the dog because she was such a hearty dog that she would make a good breed dog. But she had promised her to me, so she couldn't keep her.

Anyway, the new vet listens to her heart and tells me her heart sounds "funny". I was like WHAT?? Then she says, well maybe it is just because she is anxious. Then she tells me that one of her baby teeth didn't fall out and is going to have to be pulled out under anesthesia. THEN she tells me that she has a grade 2 luxating patella in one leg and a grade 3 in the other leg and would have to have surgery! I was in shock. She bascially said the breeder was a liar that the dog isn't healthy and that I should make the breeder pay for half the surgery. And she sold me Cosequin and said I had to put her on that. I was like, you are telling me that I have to have my 8 month old puppy have surgery on both her legs??? I told her that I had a clean bill of health from another vet and that the breeder assured me her legs were fine when I got her. I asked the vet if her knees could have gotten bad for jumping like a nut on the pen for 6 weeks when I had the door closed. I have since then given her the run of the kitchen and she doesn't jump like that anymore. The new vet said no, absolutely not that has nothing to do with it. Needless to say, I was really freaked out.

I called the breeder and she was so mad that she wanted to call the new vet. She said that when the dog was spayed she was under anesthesia and on a heart monitier and if there were any problems, they would have showed up and that her legs WERE fine. She said her vet is very meticulous about documenting anything wrong with the dogs and he would have told her about anything wrong. She also said that yes, jumping for 6 weeks on her hind legs could have affected her knees. She also told me not to give her the Cosequin that she was too young to take it, and that absolutely do not even THINK about surgery for her knees. She also told me to find another vet. I don't believe the breeder lied to me about the dog, she has a very good reputation and sells her dogs to very wealthy people. She did tell me that one of my dogs litter mates had bad knees and that she told anyone who was interested in THAT dog about the dogs knees so that any potential buyer could make an informed decision.

My dog runs around like a nut, I mean she runs and chases balls and we even jog when I take her for her walks. She exhibits NO symptoms of leg pain or problems. I am so beside myself about this. I just can't believe that I was basically smacked over the head by this vet. I felt like she was totally judgemental about my actually "buying" a dog rather than adopting one and her attitude was bascially, well you bought a small breed dog what did you expect??

I am sure a lot of you may have had luxating patella issues with your Yorkies so I am really hoping for some advice other than the fact that my little doggie should have surgery when she appears to be perfectly fine.

Thanks guys.
sportschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!