View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #25
PlatinumYorkies
Monte, Mone't's Joy!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunniebunnie
This article has caused me look up my local animal control's policy on stray/found animals. I found this which is very very interesting:

The California law popularly known as the Hayden Bill (California SB 1785) became effective on July 1, 1999, was suspended for the 2003-2004 fiscal year and was reinstated by Governor Schwarzenegger for 2004-2005. It includes the stipulation that all strays, i.e., lost or abandoned animals, brought into public shelters, whether by members of the public or animal control officers, must be held for four days, plus the day they are impounded, for a total of five days (longer for part-time shelters), to include at least one weekday evening until 7 p.m. or one weekend day. This holding period is to allow time for an animal's caretaker to claim the animal.

Now, state law is suppose to be higher than municipal law or individual policy created by a public agency such as the shelter right? this would imply that the Contra Costa County policy of a 3 day hold on unlicensed pets is in violation of California State Law. I wish I can get hold of that woman and give her cause to fight to get her furbaby back!!!!
I think someone should contact the news station to re-inform them of this law!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!