View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #49
Charlie_Boy2011
Senior Yorkie Talker

I thought I would share this link that the trainer I know emailed me today regarding therapy work [not service animals]. I will paraphrase her:

"I have found that hospitals and nursing homes all differ in their rules as some that we have gone in to from Il to WY require paperwork and others a class to have been taken through the hospital and others nothing at all. Canine Good Citizen is no guarantee to admittance in to any facility but it is generally the place to start with any AKC designation and I am an AKC evaluator"

She goes on to tell me on the site I can look her up...

"read information about the test so that you are prepared if you decide to get tested. Then there is also information about therapy dogs on the same web site. I have no certification or special training in therapy work however".

She said to contact her if I want to test Charlie. I haven't looked at the link much yet. It sounds like for therapy work though you may just want to call around and first see what nursing homes/hospitals/schools in your area require. The CGC sounds good. Can't wait to look at what they all test as he knows his basic commands etc. She is a AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy program Evaluator & Dog Obedience Instructor. Her dogs do K9 Nose Work too. Wish she had info regarding service animals though.

AKC's Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Program#
Charlie_Boy2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!