View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #11
navillusc
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qtyorkies View Post
I've rescued all of my dogs except for a Husky that my then boyfriend (now husband) got himself when we started dating. I don't have any problem paying for adoption fees. With rescues and shelters that are not for profit the fees are tax deductible. I know that they have usually spent a lot more on my dog than the adoption fee and even if they haven't I know that all fees will be used to help other dogs. I also feel good about paying an adoption fee to an individual person who rescues when they can as long as I know he/she not doing it for profit. I know that person needs to know the dog is going to a good place, and I hope to give them some or all of their money back to encourage them to help other dogs.
Same here. All of my babies are/have been rescues, fosters, re-homes, strays, and/or ferals, too. It's all about them...these babies NEEDED stuff, and love, a home, etc....$$$ never entered into it, even as foster parents for the Humane Society. I have been more than repaid in love, cuddles, and kisses, and especially watching them grow from sick, neglected, abused, tired, scared little fur balls into their fabulous, loving, confident selves!

When one baby foster had a respiratory infection, I took him at first cough to my vet...called in late to work to take him first thing, and, since he had something communicable, I called to let them know. They were immediately 'defensive' (understandably due to their non-profit status and reliance on $$$ donations as well as other material and food donations, volunteer workers, etc.) and said they wouldn't pay for his care since it was my vet...not theirs...and they did not pre-authorize payment. Do understand these were great people who really loved and cared about the animals. It took dense naive me a while to realize what they were saying...lol...since all I was doing was requesting they keep an eye on the others and tell the foster parents of his sister so they could watch out for the same condition in her...lol. Took me even longer to get them to realize I wasn't going to stick them with the bill...that all I cared about was he nor any others he had come in contact with, were going to die or even be ill. His and his sister were living in a culvert when found and their mom had been killed by a car...they were both very young...much too young for adoption, spay, neuter, shots, etc...which was why they needed fostering...and to socialize them for adoption...which I couldn't do...give them back, I mean...lol...so I adopted them all myself! It never even occurred to me to check to see if the money paid to adopt any of the HS babies was tax deductible. I only have 1 of that group left today...a 13 yr old feline, having lost the others recently, and he is alive because 2 yrs. ago an ER was able to clear a sudden urinary blockage until my vet could take over his care the next morning. Poor baby! What a horrible night that was! He's even more 'Mommy's Baby' than he was before. Come to think of it, poor checkbook, too...lol My point is, though, that if it isn't about them, it's for the wrong reason.

I think it is so great what you are doing for Gizmo!

Last edited by navillusc; 04-04-2012 at 06:57 PM.
navillusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!