View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4nimal
i think he's just bored. yoshi didn't start ripping up some stuff until i had to leave him for amounts of time.

i think that you'll find that everyone here is totally against the spanking of your dog. relatedly, if its a certain period of time after he has done something wrong he probably doesn't even know what he's done when you punish him. he might just start relating seeing you with being hit.

again, i really dont think he's doing it to be spiteful. he just has run out of things to do.

I absolutely agree with this. By the time you are spanking him (or displining or punishing) the deed is done and already forgotten. The only thing you are reinforcing is the association that the event of you coming home means he gets spanked. And this in itself can be stressful. So you are not accomplishing what you think you are. Your dog is not learning the correct behavior.

Your dog is bored and has not learned how to pre-occupy himself in a constructive manner. So you don't have to necessarily cage him, but you will have to confine him in an area where there is very little to get him in trouble and all his toys are in close proximity, so he has no choice but to sleep or play with his toys. Make sure there are chew toys available too.

Once you have made this a "no fail" situation for your dog, the home coming will be more pleasant and you both will benefit from it!
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!