View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

I think many forum writers oversimplify things, kibble doesn't clean tooth like a toothbrush, but it has been shown not to stick to teeth like some canned dog foods. Foods that stick to the teeth, tend to cause more problems. Also, I wonder if because dogs don't drink water after a meal, it might help with the rinsing off of food particles, where as dogs who eat canned don't need as much extra water, since their food contains water.

Quote:
Periodontal disease is the most common oral condition seen in domestic pets. In addition to the discomfort caused in the affected animal, there is strong circumstantial evidence to show that a focus of infection in the mouth may cause disease of distant organs. Consequently, prevention of periodontal disease is of paramount importance for the general health and well-being of pets. The presence of plaque on the tooth surfaces is the primary cause of periodontal disease. However, the mechanisms by which disease develops are by no means fully understood. Dietary texture does have an effect on the accumulation of dental deposits and consequently on disease development and progression. Daily toothbrushing remains the single most effective means of removing plaque, thus preventing periodontal disease. On the basis of current knowledge, the best way to maintain healthy periodontal tissues in our pets is frequent toothbrushing. The use of a dental hygiene chew and/or a diet designed to reduce dental deposits can be useful adjunctive measures and should be recommended. Periodontal Disease and Diet in Domestic Pets
So basically, they are saying how the disease develops is not fully understood, but there are certain things that help control it. I don't think anyone should rely on just one thing to prevent periodontal disease, especially in Yorkies, who are known for excess tartar formation. From my reading, and this has not been proven, but it sounds like those dogs who have "home cooked meals" have the most problems, followed by those who feed canned, next kibble, followed by those who eat raw who seem to have the fewest problems with tartar. I'm not sure what it is in the raw that helps perhaps the enzymes and bacteria, but it might be worth it to add a few raw bones to the diet. Just make sure the bones you add are suitable for your dog’s size.

Join today and remove this ad!