View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
navillusc
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellarousasMom View Post
...switch to a kibble. Soft food doesn't help clean the teeth...
I mean absolutely no offense to anyone and I do so very hope that no one takes it that way, nor do I wish to "de-rail" this forum thread but the OP is concerned and/or wondering about the nutritional value and/or safety of FreshPet foods, as I understand it...and I would recommend investigating the ingredients of to discover if it is "good" for puppy or not..., however...

Wasn't this proved to be a 'false theory' i.e. a 'marketing ploy' years ago...one that had even years ago become such an oft repeated phrase that it is now 'accepted as truth' in the same way that "blondes have more fun" is?

Again, I mean absolutely no disrespect whatsoever, but...

I remember reading some exposé articles, but it's been a really long time, saying, that dry kibble creates the same plaque issues since the saliva begins to digest the kibble in the mouth as the dog (or cat) eats it, making it a 'soft food' as well...the difference being that the animal then requires additional fluids since the dry kibble absorbs fluids from the animal. I seem to recall that there is additional salt added, especially to cat food...since cats are not normally water drinkers...to get the now thirsty animal to drink additional fluids. If I correctly recall, the 'dry kibble cleans teeth' theory was shown to be a marketing 'gimmick' to encourage sales of dry pet foods...which are certainly convenient for free feeding pets and can be a 'life saver' for working pet owners and their babies.

This was refreshed in my mind about a year ago when a cat suffered a (very expensive ) life threatening urinary blockage and almost died even while the ER hospital was working on him. He is doing great now! His vet afterward focused a great deal on the food he was eating and its "Ash content" in particular...the organic cat food he was eating was well below any recognized 'danger' level in any ingredient...and on making certain the kitty drank lots of water. Plus, my friend, whose cat had the highly specialized 'surgery' years ago to eliminate the possibility of it occurring to his cat again (it 'made his male a female' he says) and both of his cats are now on a special dry kibble formula for prevention, says the expensive cat food makes them drink lots of water and 'puddle' a lot...lol

I was under the impression that you may get more 'nutritional value' in a dry kibble vs a wet food since you are not paying $$$/lb. for water like you are with canned/wet foods and I know I have cross reference and 'how to figure out which is more economical' tables/descriptions/formulas, I believe in my Yorkie "Bible" book.

I am just wondering, 'cuz I keep seeing this statement repeated frequently...and if untrue, would definitely not want you to overlook a more nutritionally valuable food just because it is a "wet" food.

I am absolutely open to factual information and/or correction if my understanding is inaccurate, and I know I saved one or more of the articless but have no idea where they would be after all these years and at least one long-distance move.

I went ahead and web-searched before posting and there are several articles...here are a couple links to start if you want to check into this subject further while considering FreshPet brand foods:

Cornerstone Pets: True or False: Dry Food is Best for my Pet and it Keeps the Teeth Clean

"March 02, 2010 "True or False: Dry Food is Best for my Pet and it Keeps the Teeth Clean

False and False"

"As far as kibble cleaning your pet’s teeth…..would you try cleaning your teeth by eating a hard pretzel? "

http://voices.yahoo.com/pet-food-myths-misconceptions-5920560.html

"Apr 28, 2010
"Pet Food Myth #1: Kibble cleans their teeth I've put this pet myth first because it's the most prevalent one, and many people consider it to be true. There is, however, only a smidgen of validity to it."

In any case, although I have no experience with FreshPet foods, I wouldn't let dry food being a teeth cleaner become my main consideration for choosing a pet food. I read labels, look ingredients up, read MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheets), patents, corporate press releases, etc. and even then worry that I may have 'missed something' in the process that may be harmful to my babies!

Sorry this is so long. Good luck deciding on whether or not to try FreshPet foods. If you do, by all means, publish your impressions. Thanks...Take care.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!