View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #6
yorkietalkjilly
♥ Love My Tibbe! ♥
Donating Member

I've just got a couple of suggestions. Yorkies are such personal pets and they hate being alone when they wake as pups. It's their natural inclination to want to call us to them and responding to those calls is working well. Also, he may be whining or barking because he needs to go potty outside or on his pad and taking him out to go potty when he cries has taught him this is the way it works, so he will probably keep it up as long as it is effective for him. Change things up some by withholding liquids longer before you put him in his crate and by not immediately responding to his cries. If you don't make him wait when he cries he will just keep doing it as long as it's working. And he's more determined than you are so unless you are prepared to just lose sleep until he's found out barking and crying nets him nothing, you will have to just put up with it until he's older and can sleep better through the night. As they age, they gradually do being to sleep all the way through the night and you will be able to also!

The only other alternative I can think of is to let him sleep with you or teach him the command of "quiet" and give that command when he cries out. For that to be effective though in one his age, you really have to be a pretty dedicated behavior modification trainer and keep those lessons up daily, so that he's learned to actually modify his behavior in response to your commands.

I hope you find a way that works for you until he grows up more.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!