View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #2
MY OSCAR
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSkins8921 View Post
We just got a Yorkie on Friday and are having some problems with house training and don't know what to try next. She is six years old and has lived on a farm in a kennel where they breed and sell Yorkies. The last time she had puppies she had to have a c section and have her uterus removed and so they wanted to find a good home for her.

We have a crate for her that we will keep her in if no one is home, she's been sleeping in my bed and hasn't been any problem at night. However, the things that are making it most difficult to train her are that she hates being on a leash and won't do much of anything while on a leash and she will not go to the bathroom with anyone watching.

Does anyone have any tips that might help with training her? We were planning, of course, to reward her with a treat when she uses the bathroom outside, but we can't let her out without a leash and she won't go at all if anyone is with her and watching so we don't really know where to start.

Thanks.
just my opinion but instead of putting her in a crate while you are gone , get an ex-pen . put in a potty pad her bed , toys , food & water...
if she was a breeding dog and kept in a kennel all her life she is definetly not used to a home enviornment. it is going to take her awhile to get adjusted. i think she would feel more comfortable in an expen than a crate. also remember she has probably never been on a leash her entire life, it is really scary for her. get a little vest harness or t-shirt harness and keep that on her in the house , while you are home only, put a short leash on her just let her get the feel of it walking around the house.
do little things with her like teach her to sit for example while she is on the leash , then praise her and give her a treat .
it is just going to take time .
she is lucky to have you.....
MY OSCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!