View Single Post
Old 03-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
sunshine57
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Alternatives to Crate Training??

Hi, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I have a one year old yorkie named Cooper. We've been having trouble house training him. Most days he does really well with letting us know he has to go potty outside and when we take him outside he has no problem going. We take him out in the morning when he wakes up, before we leave the house, when we return and before bed. And if we are home we take him out frequently or when he lets us know he has to go. Sometimes he does sneak off and has accidents when we are home though.

But the bigger problem is when we aren't home. I know crate training is recommended, however it is just not something we would like to do. When he was younger I tried using an ex-pen which worked for a little while until he figured out how to jump out of it :/ Now we keep him in our bedroom whenever we leave the house. He has been getting better and having fewer accidents, but there are still times when he cannot hold it which I understand is hard since he's so little. I have tried puppy pads and he used them when he was a few months old, but if he is left with them now he just chews them to shreds even though he has MANY chew toys.

My question is.. does anybody have any alternatives to crate training?? Or just any tips for house training my little guy. Thanks!
sunshine57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!