View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
honeycracker
Yorkie Yakker

Exclamation Anal Saculitis (Anal Glands Infection)

About a week ago my 2.6 yr old yorkie had his first ever anal gland infection and i wanted to post about it.

Signs to watch out for:
He constantly is trying to lick or scratch his behind.
He is constantly trying to scratch his behind by dragging it on the floor, bed, furniture, etc.

This happened so fast...

at about 8:00 am i noticed something that looked like a mosquito bite on the left side of his behind....after 30 minutes it looked bigger and now he was trying to drag his but on the floor.

I called the vet and told me to see how it progressed till the afternoon because he was eating well and pottying normally...

At about 7 pm.... it started to look very swollen and it looked like a big zit ready to burst. We didnt touch it and on its own the yellow substance came out so we drained it with cotton swabs and put on some gause and took him to the vet. My baby was fine he wasnt complaining since it was a mild case (others ive read about have been worse). the doctor saw that we had drained the substance since it came out on its on so he gave him antibiotic shots ad a cream to put on his behind. He went for a check up and more shots two times that week and now he is ok.

We drain his anal glands at the vet every month and the doctor told me that this happens even if you drain them....so its nothing that you can plan ahead for your pup not to get it you just can do preventive measure like draining them every month or every two months.

im just glad its over because he had his butt covered for 5 days so it wouldnt get dirty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Analglandinfection.JPG (126.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Analglandinfection2.JPG (133.7 KB, 31 views)
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!