Thread: Brushing Teeth
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Junebug
Moderator Emeritus

Default Brushing Teeth

I know there are a lot of new Yorkie owners on this site, and I would like to remind everyone to take care of their Yorkie's teeth. Get them used to the toothbrush now that they're young and impressionable. I myself have neglected Otis's teeth and he's paying for my mistake.

When Otis was a puppy, I refused to have his teeth cleaned by the vet because I didn't want to have him anesthetized. I've heard horror stories about broken trachias from the tubing and dogs not waking up, esp small dogs. But like a dummy, I didn't brush his teeth on my own.

Now Otis is four years old. Several months ago, I had a professional dog hygenist come to my house to scale Otis's teeth. She did it in a way where he didn't have to be anesthetized. She told me Yorkies are notorious for having bad teeth. She found two loose teeth, and told me if I didn't start taking care of his teeth, he would lose them all pretty quickly, and he would have to gum his food. I felt terrible. So from that day on, I make a wholehearted effort to brush his teeth at least every other day.

Please don't make the same mistake I made, and start brushing your Yorkie's teeth today!!!
Junebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!