View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Default [News] Animal Shelter Refuses to Return Yorkie to Owner

Jan. 19 - KGO - Imagine losing your pet, having it show up at a shelter and then being told you can't have it because they've promised it to someone else. That's what happened to one Bay Area woman, so she contacted 7 On Your Side.

This woman had owned her dog for five years. It was a part of her family, but no more.

While Libby Duarte was on maternity leave, her sister watched her yorkshire terrier, and that's how things went wrong.

Libby Duarte: "She told me the dog left, wasn't in the back yard anymore. So I went ahead and searched for her."

The dog, named Baby, ended up at the Contra Costa County Animal Services Department.

Libby got stuck in traffic on the way to the shelter, so she called to say she wouldn't be there.

Libby Duarte: "That was Saturday. Sunday they were closed. Monday is a holiday. Come Tuesday I called them to say I'm on my way to pick her up and she's been adopted. I said, 'you told me to come in on Tuesday'? 'Well, yes, but she's been adopted. Sorry about that.'"

And it gets worse. Libby went to the shelter and actually saw her Baby sitting there.

Libby Duarte: "The dog is in the kennel, she is looking at me and she is happy and ready to get out of there."

But she had already been adopted and the shelter would not budge.

Michael Finney: "As a dog owner of five years that would not make me happy."

ABC7's Michael Finney: "So even though the owner shows up you can't reverse the deal?"

Lt. Nancy Anderson, Contra Costa County Animal Services Dept.: "It's a binding legal contract when you sell an animal."

But there's a complication caused by the Animal Services Web site, confusion over how long a dog is held.

Michael Finney: "Your Web site says five business days."

Lt. Nancy Anderson: "Yes."

Michael Finney: "She shows up on a Tuesday which puts it within five business days."

Lt. Nancy Anderson: "Yes, the Web site was not correct."

Michael Finney: "Oh, do you see the problem there?"

Lt. Nancy Anderson: "Yes."

Michael Finney: "You are saying on one hand you have a legal obligation to the new owner, but you have a legal obligation for what your Web site says as well

Lt. Nancy Anderson: "The Web site has been clarified."

Michael Finney: "So it was wrong?"

Lt. Nancy Anderson: "Yes"

The shelter called the new owner who refused to return the dog, which leaves Libby with no dog and no options.

Libby Duarte: "I would be happy if I could speak with the new owner."

Michael Finney: "So you could see..."

Libby Duarte: "How they are keeping her."

The shelter can't legally give me the new owner's name. So if you are the owner, give me a call and let me hook you up with Libby, so she can rest easier at night.

The Web site has been changed to reflect a three-day holding for unlicensed dogs.

The lesson here is license your dog because they are held 10 days at that shelter before being adopted out.

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?sec...ide&id=3829093
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!