View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #11
Baby Teddy
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie's Mom View Post
It kicks butt, and it goes fast...which is so great.

The first minute, I just walk comfortably..then the 2nd minute, I run - the goal being 90% of my max heart rate (calculated by: 220 - your age) for 1 minute. You do this alternating for 20 minutes.

If it's too much for someone, they can instead do a 30 second sprint, w/ 1 minute recovery, and alternate that way. For someone in great shape...they can do 1 min at the fast speed, and recover for only 30 seconds.

In addition to the 1:1 ratio I do, if I'm feeling really great - I do the 1st 2 minutes as described above; but then the next minute - I kick up the speed by an add'l 1mph, but only do it for 30 seconds, then recover for 30 seconds. On the next minute, I go back to 1min/1min off. Hope that made sense, oy.

There are some really cool published studies out there about doing a 2-3x week HIIT training vs. a more traditional work-out like 30-40 mins, 5x a week.

I am going to try it!! It makes total sense. Thank you for taking the time to explain!! I honestly feel great working out in the AM - but if I ever can't make it to the gym in the morning, this is a great workout for the evening...nice and quick!! I do find that after morning workouts I am starving!! lol.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!