View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLowry View Post
thanks again for all the suggestions! He does NOT have worms...as far a liver shunt...wouldn't he have other symptoms? I have kept in touch with the breeder and have a FB friend that is friends with her, we spoke not that long ago and she told me that all her puppies are thin like this but, bulk up as adults... Bentley is NOT a runt...he is very healthy...however he was very small at birth...The breeder didn't think (and according to the charts) he should be 4 lbs...like I said,...he is 8 months old and very leggy...kinda like a gawky teenager...
I've read that they don't have many symptoms, besides difficulty gaining weight, but when they try to put them under, they have serious problems, so it’s been suggested to do a full blood panel before they are neutered. Also, many do well with just a lower protein diet, but the sooner you learn the better the result. Were you planning on neutering him?

If you want him to gain weight because he's leggy, generally, dogs don't gain much weight in their legs, they will gain it in their body and of course, this can be hard on the joints of their legs. I would double check with a vet to see if added weight is a good idea. Your dog may just have long legs, many show breeders love the long legs, a full coat looks really beautiful on the long legs.

Join today and remove this ad!