View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
speedyb
Yorkie Talker

Default My Yorkie thinks he is my alarm clock...

I haven't woken up to an alarm since I got Oliver a month ago... I wake up every morning to his crying and barking.

He sleeps in his crate and does pretty well initially. As my night winds down, his energy decreases and he becomes this blob of tired that will sleep on anything soft. I take him out for one last potty, and then put him in his crate [followed by a treat, as he still doesn't like his crate and I am trying to associate it with good things]. I always leave a chew toy and a soft toy in his crate [along with this bed] with him at night. I then put a sheet over the crate to ensure that it is dark, and he usually goes straight to sleep [sometimes he will cry just a little]. That part he is great with.

Then comes the morning. I usually wake up to his crying around 6am, but some nights it will be 3am or 5am. I take him to go to the bathroom, and if it is really early in the morning, I will try to make him go back to sleep [but he isn't a fan of that].

I know it is possible to get sleep and own a dog. He is 6 months old, and I am fine if this is a "puppy" thing... but I don't want to be doing this for the next few years. How do you all get a good night's sleep?
speedyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!