View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
My Jilly was only 3 lbs. and she bite off the end of a chewstick and nearly died from it. If I hadn't been able to breathe for her, she would never have made it as she just hadn't the strength to breathe anymore after a bit. I used to think she could never bite off anything big either but she chewed through a place and swallowed the big end. Just watch her closely the whole time and stay close enough to pull the chew if she bites through and forms a chunk. They will try to swallow what they bite off!
I don't know if you have ever used a regular sized bully stick but the thing that is so great about them is they are very hard but not brittle. All the dog can do is chew and chew and chew and chew and after a half an hour it might be a bit softer on about a half and inch of the end but they can't break it or swallow it. I have seen a full grown Lab chew the same size stick as I give Gracie and while he did soften a larger section he couldn't break any off. I'm not saying that anything is 100% safe but these are the safest chew I have ever seen and have no problem letting her have them. But I'm always near by even if I would rather not be because of the smell!
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!