View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
MY OSCAR
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekatgotadog View Post
hello all!
I'm so glad i found this site!
I adopted a 4.5 year old yorkie, that was abandoned by his owners at this little old lady's house where he was neglected and abused for two years. Finally after two years, the family decided to get rid of him and started reaching out to shelters and foster homes. Long story short, all of a sudden i had a dog. I love him to bits, and i'm so grateful!

For the two years that he was living in the old lady's house he was not walked, groomed, or taken to the vet! I was told he hid under the beds most of the time. He was scared to death of men, was timid, scared, and confused most of the time. I, of course have done all of the above. He's now waaaayy more well adjusted, happy, and healthier than he has probably ever been. He is walked at least twice a day, is fed quality food, is groomed frequently, and is over all just well looked after. His confidence seems to be growing too!

One thing though.....he's still not 100% house trained. It's driving me up the wall.
He now knows that he's supposed to go outside when we're on walks, which he didnt understand before. He generally does not go in the apartment when i am home, but when i'm not home to watch him he likes to go around or right next to the wee wee pads. It completely defeats the point of the pads, and i end up cleaning every time i come home, after leaving for an extended time. He also tries to mark when he's in new surroundings (i try to catch him in the act, and scold him).
I don't have the luxury of taking a couple of days off of work to train him properly, although i sincerely wish i did!
I'm moving to a new apartment within the next month and would like to take the opportunity to train him not to mark, and to go in one spot on the pad.
For the first couple of days i think i will keep him confined in the kitchen when i am away to make sure he doesn't try to mark new spots. At least if it's in the kitchen the tiles are easier to clean!

Does anyone have any tips that they found useful? Any pointers would be much appreciated! I'm so tired of hunting down pee, and scrubbing the floors everyday!

Thanks!
could you keep in the kitchen every day when you go out.
A smaller area would make potty pad training much easier.
Since he came from such a horrible beginning in life i am sure
he feels stressed .
Just be consistent with his potty training and he will get it..
MY OSCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!