View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
simba1
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Chew things when left alone for long period of time

I have a 1 yr old male yorkie named "Simba". When we are not home is able to room the living room and the kitchen. He is very well potty trained, so giving him the freedom to walk around the house has never been a problem until recently. Simba's is the type of dog that constantly wants attention or to play, and most of time he gets that attention because somebody is usually home with him. However, he does get left at home for usually 3-5 hrs and when we get home the house is just the way we left it. But now with our work and school schedule he has been staying home alone a lot more frequently and longer. So, now he decides he will start chewing up things. When I get home and see the house torn apart I spank him and make him laydown for a while. We've gone through this for a couple of month's now (constantly whipping him when he tears stuff up) but it seems to only be a problem when he gets left at home for a long period of time (5-7hrs). If we're only gone for a couple of hours or so he is a perfect angel and doesn't tear anything up. So, my question to you is why do you think he is doing this and what can we do to stop it? It seems like he gets mad at us or something for leaving him home for such a long period of time. Is that possible for him to have anxiety or something? I would love to find a solution that will work instead of us having to put him in a cage. Like I said he is an angel when your only gone for a few hours, but longer than that he turns into the "Tazmainan Devil"

Thanks for your help
simba1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!