View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 01:39 PM   #1
bosslady
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Keeping Granddaughter's Yorkie

My daughter has decided to get a divorce. She has to move out of the house because they are selling it. Her husband is being an ass and making it as hard on her as he can. She will have to move into an apartment for now as the houses she has looked at renting are so expensive and they want a big deposit and more deposits to turn on the utilities, and buying appliances would be expensive. (They are leaving hers in the house they are selling). She will be going from a 5 bedroom house, 3 bath home to a 2 bedroom, one bath apartment for now. The worse part is that my granddaugter can not take her Yorkie. The apartment doesn't allow pets.

As some of you may remember, I have a 9 month old Westie, Duffy, and a 6 1/2 month Yorkie named Jasmine. Tori, my granddaughter got her Yorkie shortly after I did. He is the same age as Jasmine, born one day apart. Different breeders. His name is Murphy. Tori is a great mama to him and he adored her as does her whole family. Tori is 13. She has taken great care of him. She is the one who feeds him, bathes him, takes him out.
She definitely was responsible for all his care. She has a sister l5 and a brother 8. The girls will stay with their mother and both parents will have joint custody of the son.
Tori is devastated that she won't be able to have Murphy with her. It may take a few months before they can afford a house. Even though my two are a handful, I told Tori I would keep Murphy for as long as needed and she could stay with me on weekends to see him.

They are staying with me now until this weekend when they move into the apartment. Murphy is a darling. He was not used to being around other dogs and barked and growled everytime my two came close to him, but after a couple of days he came around and gets along great with them. They run through the house and sound like a herd of elephants.
I really didn't want another dog right now. My two can be a handful. Duffy is very hyper. Never still a minute and into everything. Sometimes I have to put him in the utility room or outside to get a little peace and quiet. Don't get me wrong, I love him to death, he can just wear me out. Jasmine is different when he is around. She is fairly quiet and lays around a lot when he is outside, but the minute he comes in she is as rowdy as he is.
Jasmine and Murphy are neither one completely housebroken. That is another issue and last night Duffy, who is housebroken, peed in the house twice. It may be having another male around. My husband is retired and home all day, but he has not been in good health for the last year. He has diabeties, congestive heart failure and is losing his eye sight because of the diabetes. He loves the furbabies they are a lot of company for him, but he doesn't watch them as closely as I do, or take them out as often as they should be.

I am afraid Murphy will really miss Tori when she isn't there every night. He has already taken up with my husband and I, but I don't want to become his mommy when Tori isn't around. I want her to remain the most important thing in his life, just like I am with my two. They love my husband, but he comments at the way they are with me. It is obvious that I am their Mommy and the most important person in their lives. I want Murphy to be happy while he is here. He seems to be but during the day he will go in the bedroom where Tori sleeps and find some of her clothing and sleep on it. I don't want to take Tori's place. She loves him so much.

Sorry for this long post. I guess I don't really have a question as much as I just needed to "talk." You guys are the only ones who really understand how much these little guys mean to me and to Tori.
bosslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!