View Single Post
Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie6446 View Post
Years ago my female Shih Tzu had pups. I kept two, a boy and a girl. They were devoted to each other. When one was scratching his ear the other was scratching their ear. The female was the boss and they never fought except about food. When the female passed the boy greived for months - howling and walking about the house looking lost. It was very sad. It took about 6 months of this before he adapted to life without her. Now I have learned when I have two - like a dog and a cat - if one is being put down I take the other with me and let them smell their friend and this has worked towards the greiving.
Every time I have a pet pass I swear that I will never get another because it hurts too much BUT I always end up with another fur kid.
What a sweet story, I think taking the other one with you when you have to put one down is a great idea, I think this really helps them understand. I know what you mean about the pain of losing one. I hate to think about it, but I'm even more afraid that I will die and Joey will be left behind, I can't bear that either.

Join today and remove this ad!