View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #15
Mee-sha
YT Addict

Hey i got my baby in december,and owning a yorkie is a whole diff world then owning a bigger dog fr my experience so far. it is hard to know what the right answers are, i think whats right is what works for you.
I'm not as experienced as alot of people here, but heres what i learned so far, don't let him around other dogs until hes had all his shots, you said alot of dogs walk by where you live, so don't let him out there either until he's had all his shots, he could catch parvo(very dangerous), my baby found it too cold to let out all winter so she'd just go out on the deck for the first while, i suggest getting your balcony secured and letting him out there for some fresh air, maybe even take him for a walk in your arms for some fresh air,thats what i did with my baby for the first bit,too much snow for her.Oh and dont let too many people touch her until shes had all her shots.
Potty training this is what i've learned so far...
If you don't clean up where they've peed or pooped extremely well, if they even get a little sniff that they pottied there...they will do it again. they will have accidents the first while, you need to praise them so so so much anytime you seem them go on a potty pad and give them treats,if you see them sniffing around fast circling sniffing(it took a little bit of watching them to see the difference between just sniffing around and sniffing to pee or poo, it takes a bit to get to know your babys habits,as u get to know him more u will also begin to see his habits of the times he pees and poos for example after drinking or eating of after naps etc, they pee and poo ALOT at first because they're still young and have a small bladder, they will slowly begin to pee less as they get older thier bladder gets bigger and they have the ability to hold it longer) put them on the potty pad however if you don't cath them in time NEVER pick them up while they're crouched down ready to potty and never never get mad at them for not pottying on thier pad, they will then think pottyings a bad thing and try to hide it from you and poo or pee in places you can't see.I let my baby have free roam of the basement,now that shes finally gotten the hang of using ptty pads and rarley has accidents she has free roam of the whole house, this works for me but i hear crating is also good too. now that she has the potty pads down were starting outside training now that the snows melting(shes about 21 weeks now). My vet said with these little guys its good to free feed them at first, now were switching to feeding her 3-4 times a day because she is a bit overweight, but i have heard so many problems with young yorkies i just thought i'd free feed her to keep her healthy, not sure if i did the right thing but shes as healthy as can be, so i guess it worked.but i would deff feed a baby yorkie more than 2 times a day, they are growing and fragile little things,i'd want it to be as healthy as can be!,i played fetch inside with my little one to make sure she got lots of exercise due to her not being able to play in the snow, i chase her around with favourite toy pretending i'm trying to get it from her, keeps her healthy.i give her baby carrots and apple slices very tiny pieces,she loves these.anyways just thought i'd share my experience so far...everyone will raise thier baby differently , you need to learn your babys personality, consider your lifestyle and figure out what works for you!..everything you will read will have conflicting information, i would read it all and figure out whats going to work for you, thats what i did, i read alot here on yt, and found my own way to raise my yorkie from bits and pieces of everyones info, oh and praise praise praise!!!these little guys need alot of praise for potty training,put on your happiest high voice when u see him go potty on the pee pad!!(everytime mine dose i go "YAYYY MEESHA!!!GOOD GIRL" clap my hand and she comes running over so proud of herself,you need to praise them for pottying on the pad..these little ones are sooo much harder to potty train..don't get frustrated though your dog will sense that, don't stress and just enjoy your baby while they;re still a baby, get lots of pics too! they grow up so fast!!goodluck with your new baby!
Mee-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!