View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
balderdashian
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportschick View Post
OMG, I know EXACTLY how you feel. And, every time you try something and it doesn't work, you feel like crap because YOU screwed up. I have had my 7 mo. old Yorkie for 3 weeks now and it has not been easy. I THOUGHT she was getting the pee pads, but 2 days ago she regressed to peeing all over the floor in the kitchen. DO NOT LET YOUR DOG HAVE THE RUN OF YOUR HOUSE. I did for the first few days and totally screwed up any potty training she had. Today, she pooped in the exercise pen that I keep her in and then proceeded to walk in it. It was everywhere. And don't let anyone tell you they won't poop where they sleep or eat, they DO.

I love the people who tell you to take the dog out every 2 hours. Well, guess what, I WORK. I can't do that. I am killing myself trying to get some kind of freakin "schedule" so that I have some sanity with this dog. Now that it is warmer, I am going to try and get her to potty outside. The problem is, she now won't even pee outside. She holds it till she gets back inside and proceeds to pee on the floor, unless I lock her in the exercise pen. Which she then goes nuts. I try and walk her 3 x a day for at least 1/2 hour each time. You would think that would be enough exercise, but NO.

I feel like I am doing everything wrong and she is just getting worse and worse. Then she will do something so cute and all the frustration just melts away. I am looking into some private training classes. Mostly for ME.

Anyway, I will tell you what everyone has been telling me: Hang in there, it gets better.
Thanks, we're both in the same boat! My wife and I were a bit unprepared when we picked him up on a Saturday night. We thought we did what we needed to to get ready, but we were so wrong. Earlier that week we both read the breeder's notes and the 100 page book she sent us cover to cover (Yorkshire Terriers: A Complete Pet Owner's Manual by Sharon L. Vanderlip). I realize now what a horrible book it is for a first time owner. There's no specifics. Just general vague tips. It explains the basic concept of crate training is and how it works, and then warns "Don't leave him in too long" - that's as detailed as it gets. How long is too long? 15 minutes? 9 hours??? How are we supposed to know? What a joke. So we just figured it'd be when we slept and that's it.

Another issue, we were under the impression that he'd be in his gated off area except at night. We got this play gate:

Amazon.com: North States Superyard 3 in 1 Wood...Amazon.com: North States Superyard 3 in 1 Wood...
...which my wife said was recommended somewhere (here I think). We learned in about 30 seconds that he squeezes right through it (it was really cute)! The next day I bought some wire mesh to make it work but it took me all day to get it ready. We have hardwood floors and just wanted him to be happy and unstressed and like his new home, so we let him run around (supervised) that entire day. We were led to believe that we could tell when he's about to go and just pick him up and put him on a pee pad or the litterbox. Not true. He was sniffing the ground all day so there was no telling he was gonna pee until he did, and he'd occasionally run behind something and poop really quickly. It was nuts. But it was easy to clean so we just laughed like it was no big deal. Little did I know it caused housbreaking setbacks. I spent two days trying to get him to go in the astroturf box or outside. He won't go either so far. It wasn't until today when I bought the ebook that I see he must be trained for the litter box OR outside - not both (that's a bummer, I want him to use either which is what bought the box with the fake grass for).

Just chuggin along and following the schedule now. He didn't eat or potty last time out of the crate and now I'm worried he could have an accident in it. I'm supposed to let him out at 5 (Pacific). It's like, do I break the schedule and let him out early, or wait the remaining 2 hours? The book says to not deviate from the schedule. But it also says if he goes in the crate it's a major setback. Oh, what to do! **facepalm**
balderdashian is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!