View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 07:02 AM   #15
Kodiesmom
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Well.. I am new around here and I do not have a Yorkie as of right now... I do however have a Maltese... He is what is called a "teacup" size Maltese. I hate the term "teacup" and I hear it ALL the time when I take my Kodie for a walk. I think its interesting to read all the posts on this topic because I think the same opinions/facts on this topic apply to the Maltese breed. Kodie is 3.5lbs... and after seeing some of you have a Yorkie that is around 2lbs... Kodie seems big.. haha Well... Kodie came from a female that is 3.5lbs and a male that was around 2.5lbs. The result of this was a pup that died at birth (it was too small)... a female pup that didnt even make it to 1lb... she died at 6 months of age. She had neurological and physical issues. Then there was Kodie (my baby)... he was the only pup to survive. I did not get kodie from a puppy mill or any big breeding organization. He was from a family near my house. He has his own issues though. For example... his jaw is not formed as well as a bigger or healthier maltese (or any pup for that matter), he has floating ribs (some bones stick out), his bone structure is very tiny (and I know that a Yorkie and Maltese are both very tiny boned pups as it is), Kodie has higher liver counts.. but does NOT have a shunt or any other health issue... he is acts completely normal... plus he has had every test possible to determine if something was wrong with him, His skin is very very thin... soo he had a hard time healing from sutures from his neutering (it took 8 months to heal), etc... I think you get my point. For the most part... kodie is completely normal.. runs around and very active little pup... btw.. hes 2yrs old.

My point with this post is that I see where someone would say that a smaller pup is not a reject...they are just like every other pup. But... I would also like to say that NOT every household treats their pups exactly like you... not everyones children are well with dogs either... some children are baddd and could HURT or kill a smaller pup. Kodie's grandmother (which was around the same size as kodie) was killed by a child... the child threw a toy at the dog... i guess they thought they were playing fetch.. and it hit the small dogs back and paralized the dog. The result was they had to put the dog down because there was no way to fix this type of injury... the dog was suffering.

I'm not saying that every extremely small pup has a health problem but there are MORE chances of a problem when mating two extremely small dogs together... I fixed kodie because of this same reason... Kodie's aunt was around the same size and she had nothing but problems trying to have pups... the breeder finally spayed her. I think that the whole fad of owning a really small dog is what has gotten a lot of people WANTING to breed smaller pups... you have to remember that a breeder is supposed to be breeding to better the breed... not for greed.

I hope I didnt hurt anyones feelings... i'm not trying to agrue either... I just see alot of people out there mistreat their dogs or breed improperly.
Kodiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!